My Hero

 


https://youtu.be/8UVOzkfoIgo

What Shirley says here EXACTLY describes me and my life. 

Thank you Shirley! 


Way back when I was around 27 years old I went to a therapist to help me sort out who I was. She asked me a question I could not answer at the time (these are not her exact words): Who is your hero - who do you consider a person you look up to, maybe regard as a role model?

At that time I was a lost soul just finally starting to "grow up" from my childhood and life experiences up to that moment. 

I honestly could not answer that question at that time. I have since thought about it on and off throughout most of my lifetime. 

When I finally came up with an answer the first person I absolutely adored and was inspired by was the dancer and free spirit: Isadora Duncan.  (and here

"Isadora Duncan's life was a combination of talent, rebelliousness, and tragedy. Not only did she revolutionize classical ballet but she also dared to think and express herself freely, without caring what others thought about her."  (Source: https://exploringyourmind.com/biography-of-isadora-duncan-founder-of-modern-dance/)

Isadora was a free spirited woman who followed her own heart, path and destiny. I have never consciously made the decision to live as I have, as a "free spirit" much like Isadora, but that is how it seems I have in fact lived my life, save the tragic ending! 

Vanessa Redgrave did a wonderful job portraying Ms. Duncan in the film, "Isadora". You can learn more about Isadora here: https://exploringyourmind.com/biography-of-isadora-duncan-founder-of-modern-dance/

Later down the road I was introduced to my then and current role model: Actor/Dancer Shirley MacLaine. Shirley has appeared in numerous films and won awards. My favorite of all time is "Sweet Charity". I'm not exactly sure why I love that film so much, I think her character was just so sweet but also extremely talented. Or maybe it's simply because she was a girl who just wanted to be loved. 

It was Shirley's later work, however, that turned her into one of the most interesting women of our time. I came across her book and movie, "Out on a Limb" at a time when I, myself, was experiencing what is called "paranormal" life events. At a time when these things were not spoken about lest you be regarded as crazy or mentally ill Shirley dared to speak out. Yes, and everyone regarded her as nuts, a freak and indeed, crazy. Sadly many still regard her as such. Not me! Call me crazy too but it was because I knew from my own life that what Shirley speaks about it absolutely true. That's for another post someday! 

In my humble opinion Shirley MacLaine is simply awesome! What do I love about her today? I still adore her talent as an entertainer but it is her direct, forthright and very confident outspokenness that I love the most. She simply tells it like it is. If asked a question she will give a straightforward answer. She has nothing to hide. 

What Shirley says in the clip of the interview with Oprah posted above describes me exactly. 

Enjoy more on this podcast

Do you have a hero or role model? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE GIFT by Rahel via Sadi Khan/Woven Thread Music 2011

I'm a Journalist in Korea 1: CAMPUS ART FAIR at HONGIK UNIVERSITY