When I first arrived in Seoul, South Korea, in July 2018, I attended a workshop about "Pansori singing". A petite young woman led the workshop. Looking at her I expected to hear a high pitched voice. Instead, when she began to sing a booming low pitched voice burst forth from her mouth expressing sounds and words with explicit passion. I had no idea what she was saying and was totally shocked by the quality of her voice but the passion and drama of what I was watching came through loud and clear. It was impressive and I was totally impressed. I LOVED IT.
Pansori (Korean: 판소리) is a Korean genre of musical storytelling performed by a singer and a drummer.
In music, Gugwangdae describes a long story that takes about three hours for short and six hours for a long time. It is one of the traditional Korean music that mixes body movements and sings to the accompaniment of buk by gosu.
Yesterday my 4-year-old granddaughter requested a song which totally surprised me!! My granddaughter loves music and sings all the time. When she was a baby, we played her the ever popular (in our family!) "Listen Like Learn/Your Baby Needs Music" collection of songs & rhymes. Your Child Needs Music (119 Songs & Rhymes in English) | Galilee Grandma We always listen to music in the car. She seems to always have a favorite song she wants to hear. It used to be nursery rhymes. This past year, however, she had advanced to Beatles songs: "Yellow Submarine" and most recently "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"!! Yesterday she totally floored me when she asked for .... wait for it..... K-POP!!!! WTF???? I couldn't believe my ears. Did she really just ask for K-POP?????? Sheesh - remember how I was mocked over the years when I became a fan and then an addict of K-Pop (music, dramas, movies) and finally ended up by some fl...
Comments
Post a Comment