A Little Ditty about Social Security

DISCLAIMER: With this blog post I am simply sharing a video that I received from a good friend and thought it might be of interest to you too. I am NOT promoting any personal political view - just more concerned about Social Security please. Your feedback is welcome! 



Hi - 


I have finally reached the age of eligibility (66) to collect my full 100% of the Social Security savings that I have paid into since I started working at age 14. I was never a high earner so If I am lucky I may be able to receive a monthly check worth somewhere between $700-$800  (blee ayin harah). It's not a mighty sum considering the number of years I paid into it but I am grateful that I will receive anything at all given today's unstable situation. I can live well enough on that amount, believe it or not. At least for now while I can still also work! 


I submitted my application as recommended in April 2020 which is 3 months in advance of my birthday (July). Since I am currently living in South Korea my application is being processed in the Philippines!!!! Apparently, even though there is an American embassy or consulate here, there is no Social Security office. Go know. 


It seems to take a few months between each communication which is actually done via email. One would think that fact would help the process move faster? The delay seems to be focused around verifying my income in 2014 & 2015. Even though I have some of my tax returns on file digitally I still need to check my paper files to verify some of the information in question. Clearly my ability to access my paper records is limited as my files are packed way in a storage unit in New Hampshire. So I have responded as best I can over now 6 months. I have suggested to the clerk in charge that it seems to me that Social Security should be able to access my tax files from the IRS themselves. Go know. 


I had hoped to start receiving my checks by now however a final decision is STILL pending. 


One would like to believe in our gov't especially when finally reaching the age of retirement! Sadly my experience with anything gov't related so far seems to always take ages. Additionally each office seems NOT to know what the other is doing. All too often I am asked to provide information that actually THEY should be providing me and I do not have because they never informed me in the first place! Go know. 


I am hoping that my application will be processed very soon. Especially with COVID-19 still with us this monthly income is becoming more and more essential.


We'd all like to enjoy our "Golden Years" as much as we have enjoyed our youth! Thank G-D I am still a sprite young spirited "Silver Senior" (blee ayin harah). 


Younger people today might want to rethink this government mandated retirement savings plan. I'm sure there are better ways to assure that you will have sufficient financial support when the time comes!  There's no time like the present to start the process! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE GIFT by Rahel via Sadi Khan/Woven Thread Music 2011

I'm a Journalist in Korea 1: CAMPUS ART FAIR at HONGIK UNIVERSITY