What It's Like to Be an Actor in Korea | Interview with Brian of Konnect Korea February 2022


Are you wondering what it's like to work in the entertainment industry in Korea? Here are some insights.

This is produced by Brian, who interviewed me, for his wonderful organization, "Konnect Korea". Brian does great work connecting Koreans and non-Koreans living and working in South Korea. Please also subscribe to his channel.


https://youtu.be/217P_5498_s


https://rahel.substack.com/p/an-actor-in-south-korea?sd=pf


1) Intro: Brian & Konnect Korea

2) Intro: Rahel Limor

3) What projects are you part of?

** I am currently working in the Entertainment Industry as an Actor, Model & Musician – and occasionally as a Journalist!

** I was enjoying being a busker and also performing in some clubs in Seoul up until Covid came. It stopped music-making in the big way and now music has become more of a hobby. ** I miss the energy and feedback of a live audience – the relationship you build in live performance.

4) What is it like to be an actress in Korea?

** Fun, interesting, educational and exciting.

** It’s a place where I can still experience the energy and joy of working “live” with people.

** Stressful when preparing for roles and with minimal ability to communicate in the native language (Korean!).

** It requires great dedication, commitment, discipline and respect for the profession and those who are working in the field: directors, producers, crew, staff, actors and yourself!

** One must enjoy doing research and extended study and love change and variety. One must be open-minded and have a desire for adventure and exploration.

** One must be ready to invest hugely in one’s own continuous personal growth.

5) How did you become an actress in Korea?

** I had come as a tourist then volunteered at an English academy in Busan.

** I loved Busan where I also spent my days after “work” busking (street singing) at Haeundae Beach. I wanted to stay longer and eventually needed to find work.

** I was referred to an Entertainment Agency and unexpectedly became legally contracted as an actor, model and musician in Seoul.

6) What was/is it like to work with an acting agency?

** I am contracted as a “freelancer”. This means that I get most of my own work and the agency mostly tends to administrative needs while enjoying a share of my income! LOL

** As a freelancer I actually work with a number of agencies who “hire” me for a variety of jobs: and roles in movies, dramas, tv shows, commercials, music videos, voice-overs… I’ve even had a few jobs coaching kids.

** I have to be sure to stay current and updated with my profile and social media where many agents actually find me and offer me work!

7) Did you get trained in acting school in Korea?

** My focus has been in music and sadly it has taken a back seat – especially since Covid.

** However I have also trained in acting classes, workshops, seminars and with private teachers in the USA and in Israel.

** When I saw the main focus in Korea was in acting I was lucky to find a class on the Meisner acting method.

** Due to the language barrier and Covid restrictions I now follow a number of online teachers.

** I also accept as many acting roles that I can to stay fresh and keep honing in my skills as an actor.

8) What did you enjoy the most about being an actress in Korea?

** Being given a chance to have a new career at my age!

** Flexible and independent life style - - seeing Korea as being a part of it!

** Having a front seat in “behind-the-scenes” action – seeing how everything is done and how it all comes together in the final production.

** I felt “at home” finally working in an industry that never sleeps!

** Learning that celebrities are just people doing a job they love.

9) Anything you found challenging and difficult about being an actress in Korea?

** Language – communication – being tagged, stereotyped and in some ways disrespected as a “foreigner” rather than an actor

** Memorizing lines and playing roles WITHOUT proper details and preparation!

** Lack of resources for building and honing in skills and talent.

** Learning and negotiating the “business” - both the good and bad – as a “foreigner” without backing and proper representation (i.e. union, work and payment standards and such)

** Learning you are simply a “product” that is also expendable according to need and trends.

10) What is your normal shooting day schedule like?

** LOL – Normal???

** Normal for actors is: Often waking up early in order to:

a) Travel to a location or many locations

b) Rushing to get makeup, hair and wardrobe done only to then wait for hours before actually doing a scene!

c) Waiting for the crew to get set up for every scene and camera angle

d) Meeting new people for just a day – occasionally making a new longer-term friendship

e) Preparing enough food in advance for a very long day and night and ending up not eating much at all!

f) Catching a nap when possible – usually in transit or between scenes (if not rehearsing lines!)

g) Working in all kinds of weather for very long hours – smiling when you are freezing, sweating or can barely keep your eyes open!

h) Being ready to change everything in a moment’s notice.

i) Making an effort to be respectful and HELPFUL rather than a hindrance.

j) Knowing there is a beginning and an end to every “shoot”, role and even friendships!

10) Any words of advice to anyone who dreams of coming to Korea to act?

** Remove the stars from your eyes – this is a job – and a hard and challenging one.

** Be ready to work really hard to improve your skills and talents.

** Be ready for rejection – and if you are young – for huge competition

** Be ready to live on the edge without income

** If you’re a young woman (and maybe for men too) know that sexual and other kinds of exploitation exists – so protect yourself and negotiate well!

** In a nutshell:

The stardom you’re dreaming of requires tremendous effort, hard work, determination, business “smarts”, financial independence - - and a huge reality check.

It’s a job like any other JOB. It ain’t Hollywood – or Hallyuwood but it’s a fun and exciting profession if you are ready and prepared for it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE GIFT by Rahel via Sadi Khan/Woven Thread Music 2011

I'm a Journalist in Korea 1: CAMPUS ART FAIR at HONGIK UNIVERSITY