Making a Music Video in Korea with Taiwanese Singer Wu Tsing Fong

  


   I had a very fortunate opportunity to work on a music video for celebrity singer, Wu Tsing Fong, from Taiwan, who came to South Korea to make the video. Fourteen "foreign" actors from the Seoul community were brought in for the shoot. I was lucky to be one of them. The shoot took two full days. The company that produced the video is Digipedi in Seoul, South Korea. They have produced a slew of videos for many celebrities and pop "idols" in Korea including the famous, Psy and my K-pop and musical actor fave, Xia Kim Junsu.  

   I developed a huge respect for Digipedi after having worked with them. They treated each and every one of us, regardless of our status, as if we were celebrities! We arrived early to a studio outside of Seoul. Our group of actors was transported there in a large black van that was nicely equipped with a video screen and luxurious seats to relax in. Upon our arrival our first "job" was to go to the cafeteria and eat a catered breakfast. I certainly had no objection to that! We had left Seoul very early in the morning and I was happy to have a little refill by then - still early for me! 

   The studio was essentially a large empty space that seemed to be to be the size of an airplane hangar. A large staff and crew were busying themselves with their varied jobs; set designers, carpenters, engineers, artists, sound techs, film crew, wardrobe, hair and make-up ... you name it they were there. 

   After breakfast we all went to wardrobe to get fitted into our first of four wardrobe changes. I was given a long evening gown the likes of which I have never in my life worn or been seen in. Then I went to make up and hair where two people were fawning over me simultaneously to make me look beautiful - much to my delight. Sigh. Yes, I could definitely get used to this. <smile>  While the actors were getting prepped and ready the crew was busy preparing the set where the first shoot would take place. At least four separate sets would be constructed over the two days. It was an incredible process to watch. A major production. 

   We were provided with the storyboard, scheduling and all pertinent information in advance of the shoot. So we were fairly well prepared to follow the director's instructions and act appropriately for the different scenes. Each scene was first rehearsed then filmed and recorded. Often scenes are recorded many times for the purpose of presenting different points of view (POV). These POV's provide material for the final cut and edit that comes after the filming.I must point out that the singer had already recorded the song prior to the video shoot. It was played throughout as we acted out each scene. 

   In this particular music video I ended up being fairly prominently featured. Partly because of my size as I was often placed in the front row with the shorter actors. To my surprise I was chosen to be a central figure in the scene at the dinner table where all chaos breaks loose. It was thrilling to be one of the "chosen". The director instructed my actions and I followed to the best of my ability. Mostly I interacted with other actors. However, I was asked to do a few different POV's where I interacted just with a camera placed at certain angles. At one point I was asked to laugh in a slightly cynical manner. I began to laugh. Then the scene kept on going past the time I anticipated it would finish. So I kept laughing and the more I laughed the more it started to sound like the infamous "Wicked Witch of the West" from the "Wizard of Oz". When the director finally said, "cut", everyone who was watching the scene let go a huge laugh too. What fun! I also got to hit someone over the head with a bottle. I always wondered how they did that! 

   The singer, Wu Tsing Fong, is one of Taiwan's top celebrity singers. As a Westerner I was not yet familiar with him or his music. During the shoot he was well guarded by his entourage as a star should be. No photos were allowed of course lest anything be leaked prior to the video's release date. Mr. Wu is young and full of positive energy. Due to my featured role I was able to have a brief chat with him every now and then. I also grabbed an opportunity later to have a more extended talk with him and managed to slip him my business card at the last minute. He actually took a look at it and noticed that I, too, am a musician. Wu's English is excellent, his smile contagious, and his voice fabulously unique. I commend him for taking the time at the end of the shoot to greet and thank us all individually as we left the set. 

   The song is quite upbeat and is very catchy. He sings in Chinese so I can't comment on the lyric. The concept is drawn from the Biblical story of the "Tower of Babel"   and the visuals drawn on the paintings of Pieter Bruegel (also Brueghel) the Elder. 



   If I understood correctly the story begins with the human race united as one community sharing a common language. Then greed steps in. People build a tower aspiring to be gods, or in the case of the video, rich and greedy. Their desire for fame and fortune overcomes them. Confusion steps in and they lose the ability to communicate with each other in a peaceful manner. Humanity deteriorates into chaos and eventually dies. Or does it? 

   At the end of the two-day shoot I had made some wonderful new friends. I know that I left with a feeling of being well pampered and treated with the utmost respect by the company, directors, crew, co-workers and Mr. Wu himself. I hope that all my upcoming shoots will be just like this one but I kinda know better. <sigh>

   Please enjoy the music video.  I always enjoy watching the "Behind-the-scenes" clips so I've included a "Making of - behind the scenes" video clip too. There are a few more on YouTube. Don't forget to "Like" and "Share" when you watch them! Go to my video channel and on Wu Tsing Fong's youtube channel


I appear at 2:07  


 
























Comments

  1. How fantastic!
    You seemed to do a stupendous job pulling everything together.
    Beside that, you're so outstanding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE GIFT by Rahel via Sadi Khan/Woven Thread Music 2011

I'm a Journalist in Korea 1: CAMPUS ART FAIR at HONGIK UNIVERSITY