An Actor - Model in South Korea



   I set out as a traveler in 2018. My children are now young adults living their own lives. I am not yet a grandmother. It was a good time to sell everything and feel that freedom of going wherever the wind would blow me as I had done when I was a young 20 year old! 



Now 40 years later (and older) my plan was to travel to a place, stay a month or two and tour slowly then move on to the next destination. I admit it took a little time to feel free. It was a long time since I was 20 years old! Now at 64 I had more life experience behind me: marriage, divorce, single-motherhood, home-owning and all that came with that.

 By 2018 I was living a somewhat comfortable life in New Hampshire together with my cat. Truth be told it was actually a very uncomfortable lifestyle for me. I began to question why I was living alone with my cat in New Hampshire. I wasn't doing much at all. Work was scarce and I was reaching retirement age. I even considered getting one of those lifeline buzzers for an emergency. It was at that point that I realized it was time to change my life! You can read more about that in other blog posts here. 

  My travel plans had changed. My planned final destination was now my starting point! I traveled to Israel to attend my daughters' wedding. Everything was really wonderful. I stayed 4.5 months but I had the travel itch and was quite antsy to feel that freedom again. I finally set back out in July 2018. 

  First stop was South Korea. I was in hot pursuit of a popular singer in hopes of having him sing a song I had written. That's a long story which you can read about in a few posts here too. Bottom line is I am still hoping to make personal contact with that singer. In the meantime I had fallen in love with South Korea, especially the port town of Busan in the southern part of the country. I was volunteering at a language exchange academy. When not "teaching" I was out busking (street singing) at the Haeundae Beach. Ahhh, yes, I was totally loving this free life. Maybe I wasn't traveling now but I sure felt free! I had always wanted to live near the ocean. There I was enjoying myself immensely. No cares in the world! 

   It seemed that my travel plans had now taken a back seat. Instead I wanted to stay in South Korea for the longer term. I needed to find a job to secure a proper work visa and live in South Korea legally. It's easy enough to be an English teacher BUT that was not what I wanted to do at all.  Teaching ties you down considerably. At this age I no longer wanted to be tied down to a job. So I actually prayed to G-D that I would find a job that was NOT teaching English. Two days later - I kid you not - I received a referral to contact an Entertainment agency in Seoul. It turned out the CEO's would be coming to Busan for a "shoot" so we set up an appointment to meet! 

  Long story short I ended up with a 3-year contract with DXD Entertainment that began at the end of April 2019!! Without knowing anything about the entertainment industry in South Korea (except having been a fan of Korean dramas and K-Pop singers) I began a new career at age 65 as an "actor-model-musician". Sadly I had to leave Busan and move to Seoul where I would be able to find work in my new career. 

  I moved to Seoul in May 2019. It wasn't until July that I got my first "shoot". I remember getting into the van that would take us to the filming location somewhere on the outskirts of Seoul. The company had sent the storyboard so I had some idea of what I was getting into. It was a music video shoot for a Taiwanese singer named, Wu Qing Feng, Honestly I had no idea who he was at that time but as it turns out he a top singer in Taiwan. I have since become a fan! 

  I really didn't have much experience reading storyboards and all that. The story seemed to be roughly based on the Biblical story of the Tower of Babel. Somehow it didn't make sense but that was not my concern. I was way too excited about being part of a music video. I was thrilled to be treated like a celebrity too. The whole experience was thrilling all around. 




  So what was it like to be on set? I must say that for a first experience in Korean show biz this was the top! Wardrobe, hair & make-up were all provided. In fact we had four wardrobe changes into clothes and costumes that had been individually prepared per "actor-model". I felt like a real "star". 

  We filmed on quite a few different sets. I always loved watching the "Behind the Scenes" short films. Now I could see it all in person. Each set was prepared and built on the spot. The crew was tremendous. Everyone worked hard while we actors enjoyed meeting, mingling, laughing and fooling around during our "free" time between filming. For a first experience this got an A++++++ !

  I had a wonderful opportunity shooting for another music video of an upcoming Korean singer. I loved the concept of the video and the role I would play.  I had my first read-through which would prepare us all for the shoot day. It was a chance to meet the actors, director, producer etc. and prepare for the shoot. Thank goodness for being able to have details and get prepared for a role! 




  A "shoot" can take anywhere from a few hours to a full 16 or 18-hour day. There is a lot of waiting around while sets and other actors get ready and do their scenes. Full day shoots include meals. I've since started to prepare my own meals & snacks to bring along. This is because I am not overly fond of Korean food. Too spicy and usually includes foods I do not eat such as pork and seafood. There's always rice of course and for the longest time that has been my mainstay at these shoots. After a year I am finally getting the hang of it. I now prepare and bring my own food! 

  Some shoots last a few days so we are provided with sleeping accommodations. Some are better than others. We usually share a room. Men and women are kept separate. Film locations vary. We might be inside or outside and in all kinds of weather. Wardrobe or costumes are provided if the budget is larger or the concept requires it. We are also often requested to bring our own clothing. Hair & make-up is usually, but not always, provided. I have no idea how to do either so when it is not provided I have no choice but to pray I will look decent at least on film! 

  My second "shoot" was for an upcoming feature film with high profile Korean actors and a well known director. Slated to be the first of its kind in Korea I am eager to see it when it is released this summer (2020). By the time of release it will mark a full year in the makes. My parts were filmed in July of 2019!!! Just this month I was brought in to do some voice-over for my parts and was also asked how I should be listed in the credits! WOW! 

  Credits? Yeah, I had to ponder on how I should be listed. In the end please look for me as RAHEL LIMOR - which will be my stage name for any and all show biz activities from now on. 



  The making of  "Sung Ri Ho - Space Sweepers" was another exciting experience for me. I had to actually audition for the part. This is a funny story too. I had actually answered a call for extras for a movie at a time when I had not yet become contracted in the business. Since I had not heard back I had forgotten all about it. Meantime I had gotten busy with the Visa process and other administrative stuff to become a legal working resident in South Korea. 

  My agency was training me in. We had done some photo shoots, created a profile, intro video and they asked me to prepare monologues and such. Being essentially clueless I was just doing what they said as best I could. The truth was that I had focused on honing in my career as a musician for the longest time. Now I was being called in as an actor and a model. WHAT???? Okay, I had done some acting about 30 years prior. It was in children's theater and some improvisation. I had studied a bit and so knew a little bit about acting. I had actually worked more as a musician in theater shows and productions. So at least I had some experience and insight into the business. However, this was a different kind of acting. I would be acting in movies, commercials, ads and music videos. Not on stage and not for children. So I had to learn about that. 

  I hopped onto YouTube and watched a bunch of acting videos and master classes taught by famous actors. I learned a lot from Michael Caine! I began to understand that I had a lot of work to do ahead of me. I prepared some monologues and scripts given me by the agencies. Whoa Nelly! What had I gotten myself into? 

  I was called to an audition for the big movie but I had no idea I was going to an audition and no idea what it was for. I've learned that in Korea details are not usually shared. So I simply went to the address clueless except for knowing that I had to "perform" the script and a monologue. I entered the room. One woman was there to film my "acting". I did my best and guess what? I was chosen for a role!!! Yay. Even so, I was still clueless what that meant. Later I was invited to a wardrobe fitting where I finally learned about the role I would be playing. The shooting began in July 2019. This was to be on-the-job training for me. 

  Shooting a feature movie was thrilling. Most surprising was that every scene I was in was together with the main actors!!! OMG!!! These actors are huge in Korea and there I was standing opposite them watching them act and interacting with them. It was such a thrilling experience. I watched the "behind-the-scenes" and was now part of it all. *I* was now really acting in a major movie!!! 

  I had to do some stunt training too. What? I was going to be doing an action film? Again I was clueless due to not knowing Korean language. The agency told me I needed to go to a "movie education" day. I got all dressed up thinking I was going to finally hear details about the movie from the director. That was not to be the case. I was driven to a dojo (a room or hall in which martial arts are practiced) somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I walked into a large room where other actors were being trained  for stunts. WHAT??? Well, apparently this was not the kind of "movie education" I thought I was going to. It was stunt training! Oh well, dress and all I jumped right in. We all laughed about it. No doubt it will be a day everyone will never forget. The old woman in the dress learning stunts!! 

  The first "teaser" of the upcoming movie is out now below: 




  I've had many similar experiences since then. As I said details are not freely shared unless you have an actual role that requires speaking parts. So we just basically show up and follow the instructions by the director and staff. It's a huge challenge for sure. It became clear that it was time for me to get some serious acting lessons. 

  In January 2020 a director from Australia was in Korea. Mr. Chase Lee was offering a two-week 18-hour workshop in English on the Meisner Acting Technique. I had no idea what that was. All I knew was that this was an opportunity that I should not miss. I enrolled in the workshop. It was brilliant. I began to finally get some knowledge, insight and skills about acting. Mr. Lee returned to Australia but thanks to the Corona virus he has opened online classes. I feel extremely fortunate and am very grateful to Mr. Lee for offering so much of his time to help us newbies get some skills! 

  Well, I've talked a lot about acting. My first year in the Korean entertainment world has been educational and very exciting. I have had opportunities that most people my age probably would not have. Who would have thought I'd be starting a new career like this at retirement age! I am very grateful to G*D for having somehow led me to South Korea and am very grateful to South Korea for taking me in like this. 



  As for modeling... I have to laugh every time I say that word. Me? A model? It seems so. In Korea acting and modeling seem to go hand-in-hand. Many models are called in for acting parts - usually as "extras" - and mostly for commercials, ads, and for dramas and movies when large crowds are needed for scenes. 

  I am in the category of "lifestyle" models and actors. I am usually typecast as a granny, mother or very old woman. I hope that will change when the feature film is released. Perhaps I will be seen in a different light and I can get more interesting and challenging roles. 

  I'm lucky in that I really don't have much competition in my age group here in Korea. So if a non-Asian older woman is needed I will probably be able to get the part. This is also why I need to study harder and hone in some better skills and techniques. So far I have had mostly non-speaking roles however facial expressions showing emotions are usually requested. This is a form of acting for sure. For the past year I've been happy not to have to worry about speaking roles. In fact I was steering clear of them. However, since I've started the acting classes I am now more willing to accept light speaking roles. 




  To get some practice and build up my confidence I accepted a role as a "crazy lady" in a private short film. It was a no-budget first film of a student and I volunteered for the role. I wanted the chance to try a speaking role without the stress and pressure having to perform for another feature film or something! Kevin's short film was the perfect trial for me. I took the role very seriously and through it learned a lot about acting. Acting is not just about memorizing lines. I had to learn about  the character and decide how to portray her. What should she look like, what should she wear, how should she walk, talk etc. I had been so fearful about memorizing lines that I had overlooked everything else that went into playing a serious role!! All in all, even though it was an amateur volunteer effort I think we all did a very good job. Kevin also learned a lot about filmmaking from the experience. Especially about sound! Thank you Kevin! There are a few more scenes on my YouTube channel. If you'd like to see the entire short film, "The Curse of the Carnivore - A Short film to remember!" here is the link. Please support Kevin's efforts with a LIKE and SHARE! 

  Television is providing me with more valuable experience in acting. I have now completed my third role for a well-loved and very popular TV program on the MBC channel called "Mystery Surprise". Shooting is done quickly in just one day. Production is then completed over the course of the week and the show airs the following week. People really love the show. I have had a few very interesting roles and learn so much from this opportunity. See a "teaser" below and go to my website to see a few more episodes. 




  I am now into the second year of my contract. I renewed my visa and am praying that Corona virus will stop interfering with our work and income. I am contacted often for "shoots' and "auditions". I hope that I am getting better with each experience. I am more knowledgeable about the business now as well as hopefully getting better at doing my job. 

  Just this past month I was filmed for a YouTube channel. Again clueless, I had no idea that particular channel was so popular. Suddenly people are recognizing me from both the TV show and these recent YouTube clips. I am getting more followers on my social media sites from all this too! 

Below is an episode. Yeah - no hair and make-up help! There are a few more on my YouTube channel that you can watch. Enjoy! 




  I have to admit it's an odd feeling to be recognized by people you don't know. I really have no interest in becoming a celebrity. I am simply grateful to be able to enjoy my life in this way at this age! 

  I hope this has helped give you some insight into Korean show biz. Feel free to ask me any questions if you're curious. 

Stay healthy, safe and happy! Follow your heart and live a good life! 

   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE GIFT by Rahel via Sadi Khan/Woven Thread Music 2011

I'm a Journalist in Korea 1: CAMPUS ART FAIR at HONGIK UNIVERSITY