Passover in South Korea

   It's not easy to be Jewish. It's even more challenging to be Jewish in South Korea. The Jewish community in South Korea is around 500 strong. It consists of those serving in the USA military, in education and entrepreneurs doing business in the country. There are also Jewish travelers passing through.

   The main center for Jewish practice exists in Seoul at Chabad of Korea. Many Jews, observant and secular find their way to the Chabad house on Shabbat and holidays. Rabbi Osher Litzman and his wife, Mussey and their seven children welcome us all into their home and center for Jewish enlightenment and a feeling of home away from home.



   Where can you find Jews in the rest of South Korea? In Busan, a port city in the southern part of South Korea.

   I've been living in Busan for about nine months on and off. In my search for Jewish life in Busan I found the Israel House, a cultural center under the direction of Mr. Young Guk Park. The Israel House is run and supported by a small community of Koreans, many of them Christians, who love and support Israel and the Jews. The purpose of the Israel House is to share and educate about ancient and modern Israel and about the Holocaust and genocide. Unlike the Chabad center in Seoul the Israel House is focused on cultural and historical interests, however there is a small room available for anyone to use for religious and spiritual practice.


   I can safely say that I am probably just about the only Jew living in Busan. I've been told the American consul is Jewish though I have not met him nor confirmed if this is so. I'm sure there are a few Jewish English teachers somewhere in Busan. I've met and intermingled with a few Jewish travelers.

   Needless to say I was thrilled to find the Israel House. It provides me with a Jewish environment in which I can feel a bit of "home". It is here at the Israel House that I can share my Jewish heritage with an interested and supportive community of fellow Israel lovers.

   In March I was invited to share a little bit about Purim. Mr. Park's wife even made Hamenaschen, we all sang and danced to a few traditional songs in Hebrew. Mr. Park read a portion of the Megilla, the story of Esther, in Korean while we all made a lot of noise with homemade graggers.



   This month, in advance of the holiday, I was invited to share some songs and traditions about Passover. It was fortunate that another Israeli was also in Busan at the time. David Dayan and I were able to represent the Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jews noting that even though our ancestors hailed from opposite sides of the planet Jews all over the world still share and observe our holidays, traditions and prayers in much the same way.

   Mr. Park prepared the Seder plate to help explain about the holiday and also provided Kosher wine, matzah and other good food including chicken.

Image result for seder plate

   David and I shared information about Passover by way of traditional songs in Hebrew.





Jewish holidays are not complete without some dancing. 



   Mr. Park has welcomed me warmly into this small supportive community and I have since become involved more and more with networking and programming.

   David and I were also invited to share the songs of Passover on Mr. Park's weekly radio program.





   We hope that the Israel House will be able to attract the interest and involvement of Jews and non-Jews. In this way we can help build bridges and find cooperation, comfort and peace in this part of the world. If you are ever in Busan be sure to make a visit to the Israel House!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE GIFT by Rahel via Sadi Khan/Woven Thread Music 2011